Did You Know?
DID YOU KNOW that Joburg .....
- is one of the 40 largest metropolitan areas in the world?
- is the world's largest city not situated on a river, lake, or coastline?
- currently has a population of around 10 million people in the Greater Johannesburg Metropolitan Area, and that this will grow to around 14.6 million people by 2015? (the Greater Metropolitan Area comprises Johannesburg itself, Ekhuruleni - previously known as the East Rand, West Rand, Soweto and Lenasia!)
- has the largest and busiest airport of Africa - O.R. Tambo International Airport - named after one of the icons in the struggle against apartheid?
- supplies are 40% of the world's gold - this is why Joburg is also known as ‘Egoli’, meaning the ‘Place of Gold’.
- has some of the deepest mines in the world ... up to 4 km deep - much deeper than the Chilean mines?
- receives on average of 12 hours of sunlight in a day - a wonderful climate in which to holiday ?
- lies within the largest man made forest in the word - having around 10 million trees? This encourages a wide variety of bird life to the city - something our first time visitors don't really know about!
- has around 1,500 hectares of land covered by nature reserves?
- is entwined with 12 river systems that run through the city and its suburbs?
- has an amazing 40% of all the world's human ancestor fossils?
- is dotted with 150 heritage sites, half of which are national monuments?
SO ............. now you know what a fascinating place Johannesburg is to visit!