Soweto by Bike | Half-Day Johannesburg Cycle Tour
Soweto Bicycle Tours provides a unique take on township tourism. Discover this popular alternative tour. This is the perfect way to see Johannesburg, from Vilakazi Street to Sophiatown.
Are you a business owner in Johannesburg?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Johannesburg.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
- Explore Soweto Township
- Learn about Soweto History
- Visit Hector Pieterson's Memorial
- See Nelson Mandela's home and Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu's home
- Learn about the history of Apartheid
DescriptionExperience this exciting and eco-friendly tour around the streets of Soweto. Go out for a half-day cycling adventure around the township and get to know the different communities and their histories. Visit sites including a former migrant workers hostel for men. Here you will be introduced to the culture and life today by your local site guide. Continue to Meadowlands, famous for the forced removals from Sophiatown in the 1950's. Cycle through historical landmarks of the 1976 student uprisings and visit the memorial site of Hector Pieterson. You will also cycle down Vilakazi Street where Nelson Mandela used to live and where Bishop Desmond Tutu has his home. Stop for a local lunch of Kota (township burger) and finish the tour off at the local shebeen, have a drink, play pool and dance to kwaito music. This tour gives you insight into Soweto's many different faces, the Soweto uprisings and the resistance against Apartheid. You will also see and learn how the communities have changed and developed into what they are today.
IncludesBikes and all equipment Many beautiful, varied sights along the bike route Personal service from excellent local guides A 750ml bottle of Dew mineral water as well as snacks Special equipment such as toe-clips or other customizations. Contact Bike and Saddle regarding extra equipment.
- Rates are quoted per trip and per person and include Value Added Tax of 14%.
- Bike and Saddle reserves the right to alter or amend rates and trip details at any time.
- Cancellations must be received prior to noon on the day before your scheduled trip to avoid penalties. A 100% refund will be given if these cancellation terms are met. If you cancel after noon on the day before your trip, you forfeit 100% of the trip fee. This includes 'no-shows'. No exceptions will be made.
- Please note that cancellations must be made in writing and will not be deemed received by Bike and Saddle unless Bike and Saddle confirms it in writing.
- The owners and management of Bike and Saddle cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to property or for any possessions of bike tour guests.
- Departure times are not flexible; please ensure that you are familiar with the departure location and time.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
You may also like
Kruger National Park: 2-Day Safari with Chalet Accommodation
Experience the beauty of Kruger National Park on a 2-day safari and look for the legendary Big 5 and other wild animals in their natural environment. Sleep in chalet acco3 ReviewsFrom ZAR 8,510.00
Soweto Tour & Apartheid Museum Visit
Explore Soweto and the surrounding area on this 5-hour tour. Visit the Apartheid Museum and learn about the history of the Apartheid era.8 ReviewsFrom ZAR 1,365.00
Johannesburg and Soweto: Half Day Tour
Discover the city center of Johannesburg, whose geometrical design and high skyscrapers bring Manhattan island to mind. Continue towards Soweto, Johannesburg's south west21 ReviewsFrom ZAR 951.28
- Best Seller
1 or 2 Day Johannesburg Hop-On, Hop-Off Tour
Tour Johannesburg at your own pace on board a double-decker tourist bus and see the best sights the city has to offer from a preferential point of view.84 ReviewsFrom ZAR 219.00
Johannesburg Like a Local: Customized Guided Tour
With these tours, transform your way of travelling to make it as much about the people you meet, as it is the places you see3 ReviewsFrom ZAR 438.00
Pilanesberg National Park: Full-Day Safari from Johannesburg
Enjoy a full-day safari to Pilanesberg National Park as you keep an eye out for lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos, buffalos and more.10 ReviewsFrom ZAR 2,400.00
Lesedi Cultural Village Experience
Enjoy an authentic African experience on this half-day tour in which you will visit a Lesedi Cultural Village, allowing you to enjoy this rich African culture first hand.1 ReviewsFrom ZAR 1,247.40
Hop-on Hop-off Bus between Cape Town & Johannesburg
Discover South Africa at your own pace with a hop-on hop-off bus service on the Garden Route, Wild Coast & Drakensberg areas. Choose 1 direction and stop where you want.From ZAR 7,100.00
Johanessburg: 3-Day Pilanesberg Camping Adventure
A 3-day adventurous camping trip through Pilanesberg National Park. Partnered with an experienced guide, you will enjoy both closed and open-roofed safari tours, which wiFrom ZAR 6,710.00
Johannesburg Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Ticket and Soweto Tour
Explore Johannesburg at your own pace with a 1 or 2-day ticket to the tourist bus. Then, take an eco tour to Soweto to discover the township from a new perspective. Visit42 ReviewsFrom ZAR 525.00