Soweto by Bike | Half-Day Johannesburg Cycle Tour
Soweto Bicycle Tours provides a unique take on township tourism. Discover this popular alternative tour. This is the perfect way to see Johannesburg, from Vilakazi Street to Sophiatown.
Are you a business owner in Johannesburg?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Johannesburg.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
- Explore Soweto Township
- Learn about Soweto History
- Visit Hector Pieterson's Memorial
- See Nelson Mandela's home and Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu's home
- Learn about the history of Apartheid
DescriptionExperience this exciting and eco-friendly tour around the streets of Soweto. Go out for a half-day cycling adventure around the township and get to know the different communities and their histories. Visit sites including a former migrant workers hostel for men. Here you will be introduced to the culture and life today by your local site guide. Continue to Meadowlands, famous for the forced removals from Sophiatown in the 1950's. Cycle through historical landmarks of the 1976 student uprisings and visit the memorial site of Hector Pieterson. You will also cycle down Vilakazi Street where Nelson Mandela used to live and where Bishop Desmond Tutu has his home. Stop for a local lunch of Kota (township burger) and finish the tour off at the local shebeen, have a drink, play pool and dance to kwaito music. This tour gives you insight into Soweto's many different faces, the Soweto uprisings and the resistance against Apartheid. You will also see and learn how the communities have changed and developed into what they are today.
IncludesBikes and all equipment Many beautiful, varied sights along the bike route Personal service from excellent local guides A 750ml bottle of Dew mineral water as well as snacks Special equipment such as toe-clips or other customizations. Contact Bike and Saddle regarding extra equipment.
- Rates are quoted per trip and per person and include Value Added Tax of 14%.
- Bike and Saddle reserves the right to alter or amend rates and trip details at any time.
- Cancellations must be received prior to noon on the day before your scheduled trip to avoid penalties. A 100% refund will be given if these cancellation terms are met. If you cancel after noon on the day before your trip, you forfeit 100% of the trip fee. This includes 'no-shows'. No exceptions will be made.
- Please note that cancellations must be made in writing and will not be deemed received by Bike and Saddle unless Bike and Saddle confirms it in writing.
- The owners and management of Bike and Saddle cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to property or for any possessions of bike tour guests.
- Departure times are not flexible; please ensure that you are familiar with the departure location and time.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
You may also like
Soweto: Bike Tour with a Local Tour Guide
Learn about the 1976 student uprising, get to know the Hector Peterson's story, and experience life in Soweto.2 ReviewsFrom ZAR 550.00
Lion and Safari Park Half-Day Tour
Get closer than you could ever imagine to Africa’s most incredible wildlife all from the safety of a guided game drive or your own vehicle.1 ReviewsFrom ZAR 1,120.00
Kruger National Park 2-Day Camping Safari from Johannesburg
Experience the natural beauty of Kruger National Park on a 2-day camping safari from Johannesburg. Look for the legendary Big 5 of Africa and search for big cats on eveni1 ReviewsFrom ZAR 7,148.00
Half-Day City Tour
Spend the morning exploring Johannesburg and taking in the highlights, including the Westcliff views, Nelson Mandela Bridge, Museum Africa, Mary Fitzgerald Square & Newto6 ReviewsFrom ZAR 869.00
Private Soweto Half-Day Tour
Explore the south-west township city of Soweto on this history filled tour. You will delve deep into South Africa's black only township, where the history of Apartheid trFrom ZAR 1,532.00
Johanessburg: Kruger National Park Budget Camping Safari
A safari package designed for travelers on a budget, but still wanting to view the best the Kruger National Park has to offer. Over the course of several days, you will tFrom ZAR 8,534.00
Cullinan Diamond Mine Tour
Visit a Diamond Mine. Two different tour options available: A 1.5 to 2-hour Cullinan Surface Mine Tour or a 4-hour Cullinan Underground Mine Tour.1 ReviewsFrom ZAR 1,969.00
Johannesburg and Soweto: Half Day Tour
Discover the city center of Johannesburg, whose geometrical design and high skyscrapers bring Manhattan island to mind. Continue towards Soweto, Johannesburg's south west21 ReviewsFrom ZAR 951.28
Pilanesberg: 2 Day 3-Star Pilanesberg Safari
Stay in a pristine South African National Park. Spot, from the wide selection of native animals living on the reserve. See elephants, lions, zebras, rhinoceros. Stay overFrom ZAR 5,485.00
Pilanesberg National Park: 2-Day Camping Safari
See wildlife in their natural environment on a 2-day camping safari in Pilanesberg National Park, and look for the legendary “Big Five” of Africa on game drives. Soak6 ReviewsFrom ZAR 5,435.00