Soweto by Bike | Half-Day Johannesburg Cycle Tour
Soweto Bicycle Tours provides a unique take on township tourism. Discover this popular alternative tour. This is the perfect way to see Johannesburg, from Vilakazi Street to Sophiatown.
Are you a business owner in Johannesburg?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Johannesburg.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
- Explore Soweto Township
- Learn about Soweto History
- Visit Hector Pieterson's Memorial
- See Nelson Mandela's home and Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu's home
- Learn about the history of Apartheid
DescriptionExperience this exciting and eco-friendly tour around the streets of Soweto. Go out for a half-day cycling adventure around the township and get to know the different communities and their histories. Visit sites including a former migrant workers hostel for men. Here you will be introduced to the culture and life today by your local site guide. Continue to Meadowlands, famous for the forced removals from Sophiatown in the 1950's. Cycle through historical landmarks of the 1976 student uprisings and visit the memorial site of Hector Pieterson. You will also cycle down Vilakazi Street where Nelson Mandela used to live and where Bishop Desmond Tutu has his home. Stop for a local lunch of Kota (township burger) and finish the tour off at the local shebeen, have a drink, play pool and dance to kwaito music. This tour gives you insight into Soweto's many different faces, the Soweto uprisings and the resistance against Apartheid. You will also see and learn how the communities have changed and developed into what they are today.
IncludesBikes and all equipment Many beautiful, varied sights along the bike route Personal service from excellent local guides A 750ml bottle of Dew mineral water as well as snacks Special equipment such as toe-clips or other customizations. Contact Bike and Saddle regarding extra equipment.
- Rates are quoted per trip and per person and include Value Added Tax of 14%.
- Bike and Saddle reserves the right to alter or amend rates and trip details at any time.
- Cancellations must be received prior to noon on the day before your scheduled trip to avoid penalties. A 100% refund will be given if these cancellation terms are met. If you cancel after noon on the day before your trip, you forfeit 100% of the trip fee. This includes 'no-shows'. No exceptions will be made.
- Please note that cancellations must be made in writing and will not be deemed received by Bike and Saddle unless Bike and Saddle confirms it in writing.
- The owners and management of Bike and Saddle cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to property or for any possessions of bike tour guests.
- Departure times are not flexible; please ensure that you are familiar with the departure location and time.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
You may also like
Johannesburg Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Ticket and Soweto Tour
Explore Johannesburg at your own pace with a 1 or 2-day ticket to the tourist bus. Then, take an eco tour to Soweto to discover the township from a new perspective. Visit42 ReviewsFrom ZAR 525.00
- Best Seller
1 or 2 Day Johannesburg Hop-On, Hop-Off Tour
Tour Johannesburg at your own pace on board a double-decker tourist bus and see the best sights the city has to offer from a preferential point of view.84 ReviewsFrom ZAR 219.00
Cradle of Human Kind and Lesedi Cultural Village Day Tour
Experience both of these places in one day, filled with history and culture. See the diverse cultures of South Africa at Lesedi Cultural Village and learn how they shape1 ReviewsFrom ZAR 2,334.00
Pilanesberg, Sun City and Valley of the Waves Waterpark
Enjoy a ride to Pilanesberg National Park to embark on the day's search for the Big 5 or some magnificent antelopes. Gaze in wonder at the stunning landscape and variety3 ReviewsFrom ZAR 2,840.00
Cradle of Humankind and Sterkfontein Caves Half-Day Tour
The Maropeng Visitor Center is an exciting, worldclass exhibition, focusing on the development of humans and their ancestors over the past few million years. The Sterkfon11 ReviewsFrom ZAR 1,459.00
Travel Pass Hop-on Hop-off Bus - Cape Town to Johannesburg
Enjoy the freedom to discover South Africa at your own pace with a hop-on hop-off door-to-door bus service. Travel & Stop everywhere between Cape Town and Johannesburg thFrom ZAR 3,380.00
Johannesburg Lion Park and Pilanesberg Safari
Visit the famous lion and safari park and view lions up close. Then head on to the world-renowned Pilanesberg National Park for a 3-hour safari across a 55,000 hectare wiFrom ZAR 3,282.00
Pilanesberg National Park: 2-Day Safari with Chalet
Experience everything Pilanesberg National Park has to offer over just two days. This Pilanesberg safari departs from your accommodation in Johannesberg or Pretoria, and2 ReviewsFrom ZAR 7,030.00
Lesedi Cultural Village Half Day Tour
Lesedi Cultural Village showcases the different tribes of South Africa and their indigenous cultures that will make you appreciate South African Culture. Home to various2 ReviewsFrom ZAR 1,896.00
Johanessburg: Kruger National Park Budget Camping Safari
A safari package designed for travelers on a budget, but still wanting to view the best the Kruger National Park has to offer. Over the course of several days, you will tFrom ZAR 8,534.00