North West Province
The North West Province is a "must see" destination, as it offers The Pilanesberg Big Five Game Reserve as well as other fine reserves, cultural sights, archaeological treasures, and adventures, as well as world class entertainment resorts such as Sun City and The Palace of the Lost City.
The Province is generally hot and dry and it consists mainly of flat areas of scattered trees and grassland:
- Average temperatures across the region range from 17C to 31 C in the summer, and from 3 to 21 C in the winter.
- Annual rainfall is low, averaging around 360 mm, with almost all of this falling during the long summer months (between October and April)
There are 4 regions in the North West Provinces:
- Bojanala Region (in the north west)
- Dr Ruth S. Mompati District (south west)
- Dr Ngaka Modiri Molema District (central region)
- Dr Kenneth Kaunda District (southern region)
The Bojanala Region is situated close to Gauteng, and is the area that we (at present) cover the most thoroughly. It is certainly the most scenic region of the Province and it has much to offer the eco-tourist and the adventure tourist. The Hartbeespoort Dam, which offers water activities, angling, and yachting, and the Magaliesberg Mountains, which are filled adventure tourism opportunities are only from 45 - 60 minutes away from Joburg. Just 1 1/2 hr away are the world renowned Lost City / Sun City complex and the Big Five Pilanesberg Game Reserve - making the whole area a fabulous one in which to spend an exciting holiday.
Tourism areas we cover within North West, and which are within 45 min to 3 hours away, include:
- The Northern Magaliesberg: An area of mountainous beauty, unexpected by many visitors and only around 1 hour from Northern Joburg - its really worth a visit!
- Pilanesberg Game Reserve: A wildlife haven, situated in an ancient volcano, with a fascinating geology and interesting vegetation, together with the big 5 and a spread of other bushveld animals.