My Guide Website?
Johannesburg Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Ticket and Soweto Tour89 Reviews
Explore Johannesburg at your own pace with a 1 or 2-day ticket to the tourist bus. Then, take an eco tour to Soweto to discover the township from a new perspective. Visit Nelson Mandela’s former home, follow in the footsteps of Gandhi, and more.
- Discover the 'New York of Africa' on a sightseeing bus tour of Johannesburg
- Learn the story of apartheid at the Apartheid Museum
- Explore the cultural attractions of the Braamfontein neighborhood
- Enjoy a great city narrative, with a commentary especially for kids
- Stop at Vilakazi Street in Soweto to see Mandela House and Desmond Tutu House
- See the 1st ever sports facility built for black South Africans in a residential area
- Drive past the huge Baragwanath Hospital and taxi rank
- Go to the site that was the catalyst of the Soweto Uprising
- Hear stories about the legal and political career of Mahatma Gandhi
DescriptionSee the sights of Johannesburg at your own pace with a 1 or 2-day ticket for the hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus tour. Then, take a 2-hour eco tour of the township of Soweto, described as the “New York of Africa.” Take in the sights of the city where Mandela once lived and Mahatma Gandhi started his legal career. Learn the history of Johannesburg from the audio commentary in English once on board the double decker sightseeing bus. Ride through the city's historic neighborhoods and see fascinating attractions, many related to the struggle against apartheid. Get on and off as much as you like. Hear about 2 of the 20th century’s most famous liberation heroes in the city where they started their legal and political careers. Follow in the footsteps of Mahatma Gandhi and his Passive Resistance (Satyagraha) Movement, and Nelson Mandela with his Defiance Campaign. Hop-On and Hop-Off Bus Route: Green Tour: 1. Rosebank: @The Zone Mall, next to “Hamleys” 2. Zoo Lake 3. Johannesburg Zoo 4. Military Museum 5. Constitution Hill Red City Tour: 5. Constitution Hill 10. Mining District 11. Carlton Center for the “Roof of Africa” viewing deck 12. James Hall Transport Museum 13. Gold Reef City Casino Hotel – join the Soweto Eco tour here 14. Apartheid Museum 15. New Town 16. Origins Center at Wits University 17. Neighborhoods Market (Saturdays only) Soweto Eco Tour: Reconnect with Nelson Mandela's past, and get an understanding of where he started his fight against apartheid at his family home in Soweto. Now a museum, Mandela House follows the story of the legendary leader in the small rooms where his family lived. The single-story matchbox house is located at number 8115, on the corner of Vilakazi and Ngakane streets. A short distance up the road is Tutu House, the home of Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu. Encounter the eclectic atmosphere of the markets and memorabilia stands, as well as various eateries like the Mandela Family Restaurant. Enjoy drinks on restaurant balconies or at tables dotted along the sidewalks. Soweto is home to thousands of South Africans and the site of some of the most iconic events in the nation’s history. Get a fascinating look into kasi living, and hear the history of South Africa’s freedom struggle. Stop at Soccer City on the outskirts of Soweto before going to Diep Kloof. Discover the renowned Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, the largest hospital in the world in 1997. Go to Orlando Towers to see the site of the world’s highest Suspended Catch Air Device (SCAD) Freefall. Enjoy a drink or some braised meat at the Chaf Pozi shisa nyama and shebeen. Drive past Orlando Stadium, the 1st ever sports facility built for black South Africans in a residential area. Then, go to the Hector Pietersen Memorial in Orlando West to discover a work of art that marks the events of 16 June 1976, a catalyst for the Soweto Uprising. End your Soweto tour at the Kliptown Open Air Museum in Walter Sisulu Square, where 3,000 people gathered in 1955 to adopt the Freedom Charter. See the 10 tenets on which the South African Constitution is based. Another popular landmark, just a few meters from the museum is the 4-star Soweto Hotel.
Includes1 or 2-day ticket for the hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus 2-hour tour of Soweto
- The 2-hour Soweto tour starts and ends at bus stop 13, Gold Reef Casino Hotel, at 10:39 AM, 12:39 PM, and 2:39 PM. Each tour connects with a hop-on hop-off bus returning to Rosebank
- Free hotel shuttle bus collection times in Sandton include the Holiday Inn at 8:45 AM, the Maslow at 8:53 AM, Sandton Hilton at 8:57 AM, the Radisson Blu Gautrain at 9:04 AM, and the Da Vinci Hotel at 9:10 AM. The shuttle bus return time from Stop 1 to Sandton is at 5:35 PM